Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Marisol book review

  1. #41
    Inactive Member lieu2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2003
    Posts
    354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found the story line pretty easy to follow. It is simple but basically understandable. I think that the book was utterly predicitible but the truth is all the AG books are. I think it is a basic story that girls in the target age will enjoy. I thought the character was edearing. Very sweet. I think the story is left open ended on purpose. I think it is suppose to make the reader imagine what happens next. ie a new chapter left to be written by the reader. I thought this was nice. But you have to keep in mind that this is a book for an 8 year old.

  2. #42
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    So...what's the verdict, Kim? Are you guys getting her? [img]wink.gif[/img]

  3. #43
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    We base whether we want a doll on the books. I did purchase Marisol's book so that I could look at the doll with an open mind and not be swayed by anything but the character in the book. My daughter is seven (8 in February) and reads at a 6th grade level in both knowing reading and comprehension. That said, neither one of us cared for Marisol's book. My daughter found more in common with her, but she still didn't like the story and found it boring although she did like it much better than Kailey's book. Aside from the dancing, my daughter found out she and Marisol have the cat in common...my Mom has a Himalayan and his name is Rascal also. We have also read Kailey which we couldn't even stand to finish and Lindsey which we loved! If anyone was wanting to check out the LE stories, I'm sure they would love Lindsey's book.

    Kim

  4. #44
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    Probably not Jenny. Ria brought her Marisol on Sunday and she is a beautiful doll. Much prettier in person. It was funny, though. While we were there with Ria, people made a fuss over both the Felicity's, not Marisol. I've had Marisol in the cart a couple of times, but I realized I just don't want her and neither does my daughter. I don't want to get her just to say I have another LE and have her sit in the box because we don't like her. I'd rather wait and save the $150 for Elizabeth.

    Kim

  5. #45
    HB Forum Owner Kaileyfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">I liked Meet Marisol. I liked that she was a dancer because I take acrobatics</font> [img]redface.gif[/img]

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Katie from IL's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2005
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK I have 2 things to talk about here:

    First, Marisol's book. As someone who is a Chicago native and actually grew up in Des Plaines(and seeing Des Plaines mentioned in the book I was elated)I knew I had to get the book and doll. I'm not sure if you are aware of the controversey Marisol's book brought on here in the Chicago area shortly after its release. Because Marisol's family moves from the Pilsen area of Chicago to the suburb of Des Plaines, the people who really do live in the Pilsen neighborhood felt snubbed and rejected after a quote from the book from Marisol's mom said the neighborhood was "dangerous and there's no place to play". It was all over the local news and even a little on the national news.

    I feel that the story is supposed to be from a child's perspective and for children to read. As long as the material isn't offensive or inappropriate I think it's the kids who should decide whether or not they like the story. And since it's an adult trying his best to capture a 10 year old girl's perspective, he gave it his best shot. But only a 10-year old girl really understands a 10-year old girl's perpective.

    The second thing I want to mention is about disabilities. I have chose to call people with mental retardation "developmentally disabled" or DD after what was used for that part of the Special Ed dept at my high school.

    But I know a great deal about disabilities because I have one. I have Asperger's Syndrome which is a high functioning, somewhat little understood form of autism. Since until now it was thought that I had mental illness and ADD, I've been lobbying for rights and funding for the mentally ill. I still feel people with mental illness have been not given the opportunities they need to live a proficient life. My mom does have mental illness along with a number of physical illnesses. I've struggled with so many things with myself, along with my mom and my friends at the mental health center.

    I'm almost 30 but I feel I've had a lifetime of struggles and challenges. My problem I have now is it's hard to find help. I'm leaving the mental health center at the end of June because I moved out of the catchment area. Other mental health centers won't take me anymore because my main diagnosis isn't a mental illness anymore. I'm too high functioning for DD centers. I kind of fall through the cracks. But I do have a therapist, and a psychiatrist and a part-time case manager so I may just stick with those and forget about getting with a mental health center. Maybe not having as many services will help me be more independent.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •